SA Senate passes community engagement resolution

The SA voted unanimously Monday to show student support for increased community engagement. Lisa Blitstein | Hatchet Photographer
Sen. Nate Pasko, ESIA-U, sponsored a resolution for increased community engagement. The bill passed unanimously at a Student Association Senate meeting Monday night. Lisa Blitstein | Hatchet Photographer

The Student Association Senate passed a resolution urging GW to engage more in the D.C. community Monday night.

The senate voted unanimously in favor of the resolution, which calls for officials to purchase locally sourced products, hire employees from the area, expand community education programs and invest in community development funds. The resolution also encourages student organizations to find ways to work with D.C. groups.

Sen. Nate Pasko, ESIA-U, said the bill will make GW stand out nationally as an institution that supports community engagement and service.

“I support this because it is an opportunity for real progress in the University,” Pasko said.

Pasko added that he sponsored the bill because it sets a precedent for students and officials to get involved around D.C.

Members of the GW chapter of the Roosevelt Institute worked with SA senators to draft the resolution.

Noah Wexler, the economic development director for GW’s Roosevelt Institute chapter, said during the meeting that the bill demonstrates students’ passion for the D.C. community.

He added that there is a perception that students and administrators don’t engage with people and organizations outside of GW in Foggy Bottom and other parts of the District.

“The main reason for the bill is that often times students and administration think there is a gap between Rice Hall and everywhere else,” Wexler said.

During the meeting, SA Executive Vice President Thomas Falcigno announced that Sen. Miriam Karim, CCAS-G, resigned from her position due conflicts with schoolwork.

Sen. Zachary Graybill, SEAS-G, said the senate currently has 11 unfilled seats. Applications for those positions will close Oct. 28, he said.