Student in hit and run accident at 20th and G streets

A student was struck by a car at the intersection of 20th and G streets Monday night. Keegan Mullen | Hatchet Photographer

A student was stuck by a car in a hit and run accident at the intersection of 20th and G streets Monday night.

The male student was crossing the street when a car passed another waiting car and hit the student, eyewitnesses said. They said the driver of the car was turning from 20th Street onto G Street when the accident happened.

Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Office Hugh Carew said the department received a call about the incident at 8:39 p.m. He said a conscious and breathing adult male was transported to a local hospital and that officers are searching for a blue or black vehicle with Virginia tags.

Andre Andrews, an International Monetary Fund employee, said the driver struck the student once before slowing down and hitting him again.

“The driver heard him say, ‘get his tag number’ and also ‘call the fire department and police’ – the guy was gone,” Andrews said.

Donnell Burrell said he was in the car in front of the driver and had pulled over on 20th Street to park, which he said irritated the driver.

“He was cussing me out, but I saw the student coming across so I tried to tell him to stop,” Burrell said. “Maybe he thought I was cussing at him, back at him, but he proceeded on and he hit the guy in slow motion and I blew my horn real hard and that’s when he noticed the student was halfway on his hood.”

Burrell, who said he is an EMT, was going to treat the student, but the student was walking around after the accident.