Board of Trustees releases presidential profile

Trustees Nelson Carbonell and Madeline Jacobs field questions at a presidential search town hall for faculty last month. The search committee released its profile for prospective candidates Monday. Hatchet file photo by Madeline Cook | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Trustees Nelson Carbonell and Madeline Jacobs field questions at a presidential search town hall for faculty. The search committee released its profile for prospective candidates Monday. Hatchet file photo by Madeline Cook | Hatchet Staff Photographer

The presidential search committee are looking for candidates with a commitment to diversity and fundraising.

The Board of Trustees released its profile for the University’s next president in a document Monday. The profile states the challenges and opportunities the University’s 17th president will face and the qualifications that the search committee is looking for.

Among the seven challenges and opportunities for the next president, the profile states that the candidate will need to articulate a “distinct vision” for the university, show an ability to further develop the commitment to diversity and inclusion on campus, and grow fundraising, according to the document.

The search committee will be looking for qualities in the next president that include “proven, visionary leadership,” previous academic leadership, management skills, a commitment to diversity and inclusion, dedication and accessibility to the student body, personal character and fundraising experience, according to the document.

The Board of Trustees developed the profile after more than two dozen town halls for students, faculty, staff and alumni in September and October.

“I greatly appreciate the feedback we received from a wide range of university community members,” Nelson Carbonell, chair of the Board of Trustees, said in a release. “The input has helped inform the profile we have developed for a transformational leader who can guide the university in its third century.”

The presidential search website allows members from the community to give feedback and submit questions for the search committee to ask presidential candidates. The board is expected to make its selection in spring 2017 with input from the search committee, the Faculty Senate’s executive committee and the faculty consultative committee.

The presidential search comes after current University President Steven Knapp announced in August that he would leave the University at the end of this upcoming academic year. Later that month, GW selected the national executive search firm, Isaacson, Miller, to help facilitate the search.

The Board announced the launch of the presidential search process in June with a 19-member search committee.