All Things Go attendees embrace rain to celebrate D.C. music

Passion Pit preforms at the All Things Go Music festival Saturday. Anne McBride | Hatchet Staff Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Isabel Pellegrino.

In most cases, pouring rain is the worst nightmare for any festival-goer. But Saturday’s downpour did not stop All Thing’s Go Fall Classic from being a hit.

Anything went at this festival – from multicolored ponchos to rain boots to a mud-covered white van. People danced and sang with wet hair in Yards Park from noon to night at the third annual event planned by alumnus Zack Friendly.

The acts of the day included Maryland’s Ace Cosgrove, Sofi Tukker, Bishop Briggs, Pop Etc., Sylvan Esso, Passion Pit and Empire of the Sun.

Local D.C. restaurants Takorean, Beefsteak, Compass, Milk Cult, Shake Shack, Timber Pizza and DGS offered food throughout the day.

In the spirit of celebrating DMV natives, Ace Cosgrove was the first act to go on at noon when few people had arrived at the venue. The smaller audience increased interaction between the artist and the audience, who were really interested in his music.

The Sofi Tukker duo took the stage next. Sofi, dressed in white, and Tukker, dressed in black, had immediate stage presence and offered strong visuals.

“I thought there was going to be no one here because of the rain. This is tight. I love you all,” Tukker said to the audience before they started their artful performance.

With their synchronized dancing and instrument book tree, the duo’s creativity was obvious. Their natural, raw talent came through with their dancing in the rain to songs like “Drinkee” and “Matadora.”

Pop Etc., an indie pop group, followed Sofi Tukker. The instruments and graphics on the banner behind them elevated their act and engaged the audience.

At one point, Chris Chu, the lead singer, played “I Wanted to Change the World But the World Changed Me” and pointed out that it is an especially relevant song in D.C.

Bishop Briggs was next to the stage, creeping onto the platform with a giant, yet timid, smile on her face. Before she began singing songs like “River,” “Be Your Love” and “Wild Horses” she looked down, squinted her eyes and then exploded with sound and passion. The astrological sign for female waved on the banner behind her, a testament to woman empowerment.

As Bishop Briggs exited the stage, the crowd was informed that Christine and the Queens had cancelled, due to the inclement weather. To fill the hour, Sofi Tukker returned to DJ, dance and invite members of the crowd on stage. Both Sophie and Tukker went for a crowd surf, and the audience went wild.

As the rain finally faded, Sylvan Esso took the stage with their pop indie electronic sound. The audience danced away to hits like “Hey Mami,” “Coffee,” “Radio” and “Dress” alongside lead singer Amelia Meath.

The crowd grew as the time approached for headline performers Passion Pit and Empire of the Sun to take the stage.

Empire of the Sun preforms at All Things Go. Anne McBride | Hatchet Staff Photographer

When Passion Pit came on, lead singer Michael Angelakos sang out, “Rain or shine mother f——,” and jumped into playing “Take a Walk.”

With the bright lights, electropop sound and high energy, the mud beneath the crowd’s feet was nearly forgotten as they danced to Passion Pit’s hits.

Finally, Empire of the Sun brought the last round of light to the fall classic in their futuristic costumes. The flashing lights and enthralling performance to songs like “Walking on a Dream” and “We are the People” were the perfect end to a dream-like day centered on D.C.’s music scene.