Billy Martin named head coach of sailing program

After leading the University of Pennsylvania program for the past two years, Billy Martin has been named head coach of GW’s sailing program, Athletic Director Patrick Nero announced in a release Wednesday.

“Billy comes from an outstanding academic school so his understanding of the ideals of the student-athlete experience make him a strong fit at GW,” Nero said in the release. “Not only will he be able to mentor our student-athletes in their life pursuits beyond GW, but he’s demonstrated an excellent ability to get the most out of a team in competition.”

While at UPenn, Martin led the Quakers to the 2016 Intercollegiate Sailing Association co-ed national finals, where the team finished with its best result in team history, 16th overall and one position ahead of GW.

Martin takes over a Colonials squad that has recorded top-half finishes in all of five of its events this fall, including a first-place finish in the Boehringer Memorial Regatta on Sept. 11. 

“The [GW] Sailing Team has seen massive expansion, growth and success the past few years,” Martin said in the release. “I’m extremely excited to join the university and student-athletes in continuing this growth, and look forward to contributing to this successful program.”

Before his coaching career, Martin was a talented skipper for Boston University from 2006 to 2010. He continues to sail at a high level, recording a third-place finish at the 2015 Lightning World Championship.

This move comes just over three months after former head coach John Pearce departed the program to join US Sailing as the Youth Development Director.

Next weekend, both men’s and women’s teams will travel to Annapolis to compete in the MAISA Men’s Singlehanded Carl Van Duyne Trophy and the Navy Fall Women’s Interconference.