OAS Assistant Secretary General shares group’s mission

OAS Assistant Secretary General, H.E. Nestor Mendez, speaks about a "hemispheric mission" for the OAS. Anne McBride | Hatchet Staff Photographer
OAS Assistant Secretary General, H.E. Nestor Mendez, speaks about a “hemispheric mission” for the OAS. Anne McBride | Hatchet Staff Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Elizabeth Georgakopoulos.

Assistant Secretary General of the Organization of American States H.E. Nestor Mendez spoke to students, faculty and members of the Elliott School of the International Affairs Tuesday night about the OAS mission of promoting a “hemispheric agenda” for the western hemisphere.

As an alumnus, Mendez is no stranger to GW, receiving his master’s degree from the Elliott School in international policy and practice. Before his OAS position, he served as the ambassador of Belize to the United States and worked on issues that affected regions like the Caribbean and South America.

“The main goal is and has always been to ensure that any decision reached would have a positive impact on the lives of the people of the Americas,” Mendez said of the OAS.

As the world’s oldest regional organization and only hemispheric institute, the OAS has had an extensive history in serving in the Latin American community, Mendez said. He added that their mission was founded upon four main pillars, all of which are of equal importance.

Here’s what he said about those pillars and how they’ve fit into OAS’s mission over the years.

1. Democracy

While protecting and stabilizing democracy, the OAS has been heavily involved with observing electoral processes and deals with many complex and sensitive political problems, Mendez said. The Electoral Observation Mission initiative was founded as a response to these issues in Latin America.

“It has become a key instrument in the promotion and defense of democracy,” Mendez said.

The creation of these institutions came about to ensure the integrity and credibility of electoral processes within these countries, he added.

2. Human rights

Mendez said in order for a member state to produce a stable and peaceful democracy, fundamental human rights must be respected. The creation of two institutions, the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights and the Inter-American Court of Human Rights, ensures the protection of the people of the Americas, he said.

“Both provide recourse to citizens who have suffered violations of their rights by the state,” Mendez said.

3. Multidimensional security

The OAS has taken measures in controlling security matters involving terrorism and crime in the region, Mendez said. OAS is involved in multiple public service initiatives like increasing law enforcement, offering training programs and implementing preventative strategies like job creation and improving access to education, he said.

Mendez said that OAS’s specialization is not only in reducing crime, but also in providing resources to victims.

“It is worth noting that last year alone, support was provided to more than 140 Colombian, Peruvian, and Ecuadorian victims to assist them with their physical and psychological rehabilitation and socio economic reintegration,” Mendez said.

4. Internal development

Poverty, inequality, migration and water resources are just a few of the issues that need to be addressed in Latin America, Mendez said. The OAS has two primary roles in fostering change in this region: Engaging in a dialogue with member states to push for cooperation, and forging a consensus on how to address the problems at hand, he added.

One response to the heightened trends of immigration and poverty is the creation of the Continuous Reporting System on International Immigration in the Americas, which Mendez said is the only hemispheric benchmark that provides information on migration flows and regulatory frameworks of programs and policies in the hemisphere.

Other initiatives in place in Latin America include the implementation of partnership between member states, in regards to climate change, and water diplomacy, he said.