White House staffer, GW alumnus’s email hacked

A recent alumnus and current White House staffer’s email account was hacked this week, revealing political documents and messages from his time at GW.

The hacked Gmail account belonged to Ian Mellul, a White House staffer who is currently working on Hillary Clinton’s Democratic presidential campaign. The website DC Leaks, which claims to be started by American hackers, released the email correspondence Thursday morning.

Mellul, who graduated from GW in 2015 with a bachelor’s degree in political science, was a member of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity and a leader of the Colonial Army. The leak includes emails from February 2015 through this July.

The leaked emails include correspondence between members of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity at GW. The emails between members have information about mixers, pledges, other Greek life organizations and the group’s test bank.

“For the pledges who show up to this, please make them your slaves,” one member of the fraternity wrote on Feb. 18, 2015, according to an email obtained by DC Leaks and allegedly received by Mellul.

The emails also include correspondence between Mellul and Director of Athletics and Recreation Patrick Nero from when Mellul served as leader of the Colonial Army and his messages with various GW professors.

Along with the emails, the hackers released a copy of First Lady Michelle Obama’s passport and other internal documents, including planning and travel information with Clinton’s detailed schedule.

Mellul deleted his Twitter and LinkedIn accounts Thursday morning.

The Secret Service said Thursday that officers are “aware” of the alleged hacks of a White House employee but did not confirm the authenticity of the passport photo or other communications, The Hill reported.

Earlier in September, DC Leaks claimed responsibility for leaking emails from former Secretary of State Colin Powell and messages from the Democratic National Committee.