GW reportedly fires men’s basketball head coach Mike Lonergan

According to USA Today Sports, GW has fired Mike Lonergan after investigating verbal and emotional abuse allegations made against the mens basketball head coach in July. Hatchet file photo by Dan Rich | Photo Editor
According to USA Today Sports, GW has fired Mike Lonergan after investigating verbal and emotional abuse allegations made against the men’s basketball head coach in July. Hatchet file photo by Dan Rich | Photo Editor
According to USA Today Sports, GW has fired Mike Lonergan after investigating verbal and emotional abuse allegations made against the men's basketball head coach in July. Hatchet file photo by Dan Rich | Photo Editor

Updated: Sept. 17, 2016 at 12:51 a.m.

Men’s basketball head coach Mike Lonergan has been fired, according to USA Today Sports.

A person who spoke to USA Today’s Dan Wolken on the condition of anonymity said GW has not yet announced the firing and that the coaching staff was informed of the decision Friday night.

The decision comes nearly two months after the Washington Post published verbal and emotional abuse allegations against the fifth-year head coach.

According to CBSSports‘ Matt Norlander, the investigation conducted by outside law firm Saul Ewing also uncovered new information and allegations not included in the Post’s story, including the fact that Lonergan referred to Derrick Gordon — the first active openly gay men’s college basketball player — as “the gay kid.” Gordon played for A-10 foe Massachusetts from 2013-2015 before transferring to Seton Hall.

The University did not immediately return the Hatchet’s request for comment.

The Colonials went a combined 97-70 (44-40 A-10) under Lonergan, reaching the NCAA tournament in 2014 and winning a 2016 NIT Championship title last spring. 

GW opens its 2016-2017 season on Nov. 11 against Maryland Eastern Shore.