Break the Foggy Bottom bubble with alternatives around D.C.

Olivia Anderson | Contributing Photo Editor

Whether you’re still exploring campus as a freshman, or you have seen it all as a senior, there are plenty of reasons to experience other parts of D.C. The District is known for vibrant diversity in its neighborhoods, from Logan Circle to Petworth, so swap out your go-to campus spots for something outside of your comfort zone.

For a place to study that isn’t Gelman Library: Qualia Coffee
A Petworth staple, Qualia Coffee is a homey neighborhood hangout perfect for studying. Equipped with Wi-Fi, good coffee and fresh-baked pastries at a healthy distance from campus, you’ll be sure to get in the zone and finish your work.

3917 Georgia Ave. NW

For a hangover cure that isn’t the GW Deli: Ted’s Bulletin
What’s the best way to cure a hangover? A burrito called “The Walk of Shame.” The aptly-named dish contains sausage, scrambled eggs, cheddar and hash browns covered in a green chile sauce. The best part? Ted’s Bulletin serves breakfast all day, so no matter when you manage to finally roll out of bed, you can get your burrito.

Eastern Market: 505 8th St. SE
U Street: 1818 14th St. NW

For a date spot that isn’t Paul: Busboys and Poets
There are many reasons to take a trip to Busboys and Poets for your next date: a well-rounded brunch menu, open mic nights, author talks and other events to enjoy while dining. There are several locations throughout the city, providing flexibility for you and your date, and there’s even a bookstore in each location. No matter what’s happening that day, the atmosphere will be sure to spark conversation.

U Street: 2021 14th St. NW
Chinatown: 1025 5th St. NW

For happy hour that isn’t Nooshi: Rustik Neighborhood Tavern
Mix it up by pairing reduced-price beer and wine with wood-fired pizza. From 4 to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, Rustik’s beers are $2 cheaper, and some of the wines are priced at $5 a glass. And it isn’t just the drinks that are a steal – their famous pizzas are $3 less than full price.

84 T St. NW