Macpherson tabbed as men’s tennis head coach

David Macpherson will helm the 2016-2017 men’s tennis program, Athletic Director Patrick Nero announced Wednesday afternoon.

Macpherson has made a name for himself as the coach of Bob and Mike Bryan over the past decade. He helped lead the pair to an Olympic gold medal and establish the team as one of the most dominant in the tennis community.

“[Macpherson’s] success at the highest level of the sport, both as a player and as a coach, will give our student-athletes an unparalleled environment for growth,” Nero said in a release. “We look forward to seeing David take the program to new heights.”

In 2014, the Tasmania, Australia native was honored as the World Team Tennis Coach of the Year after leading Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka to a Davis Cup title.

As a former ATP pro, Macpherson was nearly as successful on the court as he has been as a coach. He reached as high as a No. 11 ranking for individual doubles and a No. 8 ranking for team doubles.

Macpherson has also had previous experience working with younger players. In 2004, he founded David Macpherson Tennis Academy where he coached high-level junior players for numerous years.

“I think working with student-athletes will be wonderful,” Macpherson said in a release. “I’ll be able to talk to the players and coach them from the perspective of the game played at the highest level, so I think that will be a nice advantage for them to have that wisdom and get the best out of themselves.”

The Colonials are coming off a very strong 2015-2016 season where they went undefeated in conference play and beat VCU to earn their third successive Atlantic 10 championship.