Unpaid internship fund donations reach $200,000 in past year

Rachel Brown, the assistant provost for University Career Services said the Knowledge in Action Career Internship Fund received $200,000 in donations last fiscal year. Hatchet file photo.

Updated: Aug. 4, 2016 at 10:15 a.m.

Over $200,000 in new donations from alumni, parents and trustees will fund students’ unpaid internships this year.

The Knowledge in Action Career Internship Fund surpassed its $100,000 fundraising goal last fiscal year, officials said. The total amount raised includes a $100,000 matching gift from Trustee Scott Amey, his wife Debbie Amey and Trustee Steven Ross.

Rachel Brown, the assistant provost for University Career Services, said in an emailed statement that some of the money raised in the past fiscal year has been awarded to students already and the rest will be awarded in the coming year.

“We are so pleased to have support from so many in our GW community, because we have seen just how important these awards are to our students and their professional development,” Brown said.

Since the fund was launched in 2013, more than 265 students have received awards, Brown said. The grants, which reach up to $3,000, have totaled $450,000 over the past three years.

University officials have said the fund was publicized to more donors over the past few years as part of a three-year career services overhaul. The fund benefited from Mark Shenkman’s $5 million gift, which supported the career services center and renamed Shenkman Hall.