Board of Trustees chair elected to second term

Chairman of the Board of Trustees Nelson Carbonell was reelected to a second term. Hatchet File Photo.

The Board of Trustees elected Nelson Carbonell to a second three-year term as chair of the Board of Trustees, which began on July 1, according to a University release.

Carbonell first became chair in 2013, after serving as vice chair for six years. He earned his bachelor’s degree from GW in electrical engineering, was inducted in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Hall of Fame in 2011 and is the “founder, chairman and CEO of Nelson Carbonell and Associates,” according to the release.

“It has been a great honor to serve as chair of the Board of Trustees, and I look forward to continuing to work with the administration, faculty and the board to build on the progress we have made on behalf of the George Washington University,” Carbonell said in the release.

In his past three years as chair of the Board of Trustees, Carbonell has helped to oversee the creation of the Science and Engineering Hall as well as the Milken Institute School of Public Health. He has also helped fund an autism research hub at GW and approved changes to faculty regulations.

In his upcoming term Carbonell will be significantly involved in the selection of a new president for the University, following current University President Steven Knapp’s announcement last month that he will not be seeking to renew his contract at the end of the upcoming academic year.

The Board of Trustees also reelected Ellen Zane as vice president and Grace Speights as secretary and reelected three charter members: Roslyn Brock, Michael Hoffman and Madeleine Jacobs, according to the release.

A new charter member was also elected – Amr ElSawy. ElSawy is currently the CEO of Noblis and “has extensive experience leading organizations and developing innovative solutions to some of the most complex challenges facing public sector enterprises in national security, transportation, health and the environment,” according to the release. He was also inducted into SEAS’s Hall of Fame in 2012.