Alumnus’ video parody highlights moderate stance in presidential election

How do you make sense of this roller coaster of an election year? One alumnus tried with “Hillary – A Music Video.”

Chris Cafero, who graduated from GW with a bachelor’s degree in 2010, and his New York-based sketch comedy group, Uncle Function, released the video last week.

Since the video was released, it has accumulated 21,000 views on Youtube and was featured by the Huffington Post.

The alumnus had been singing “Valerie” by Amy Winehouse in the shower when he realized how well “Hillary” fit into the song. Cafero then called on his fellow comedians to write and produce the video.

Cafero said he wanted to use his neutral position as a comedian to tease both political parties, underlining the gaffes of presumptive presidential nominees, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.

“I knew immediately that I wanted to rewrite the song, and that I wanted it to be a backhanded endorsement of Mrs. Clinton,” Cafero said in an interview. “The challenge was making the darker side of politics funny and engaging.”

In the video, Cafero takes on the guise of the only Republican at a party, spouting cross-party lines, like “I’m all out of options” and “Now I have to vote for Hillary.”

He said he wanted to remedy what he described as a tendency for people to take “black and white” positions.

“There should always be shades of gray. Ambivalence is not always a sign of weakness or stupidity,” Cafero said.