Clinton, Gray come out on top in primaries

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, speaking at Lisner Auditorium last June, won D.C.'s Democratic primary Tuesday. File Photo by Desiree Halpern | Senior Staff Photographer
Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, speaking at Lisner Auditorium two years ago won D.C.’s Democratic primary Tuesday. Hatchet file photo.

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton won the final contest of the 2016 primary season in D.C. Tuesday night, The Associated Press reported.

With about 80 percent of the vote in, Clinton was ahead of challenger Sen. Bernie Sanders, D-Vt., by nearly 50,000 votes, capturing 78.7 percent of the vote to Sanders’ 21 percent.

The A.P. called the race for Clinton shortly after 8:30 p.m., a little more than 30 minutes after polls closed.

Clinton had already secured the delegates needed to win the Democratic nomination with primary victories in four states last Tuesday, making the District’s primary largely meaningless in determining the nominee.

Sanders, who previously committed to remaining in the race until after the D.C. primary, planned to meet with Clinton Tuesday night, NBC News reported.

District voters also cast ballots Tuesday in contested Democratic city council primaries in Wards 4, 7 and 8, as well as an at-large seat.

Two years after losing his re-election bid, former District mayor and GW alumnus Vincent Gray won the Ward 7 council Democratic primary, according to the A.P. He was ahead of incumbent Yvette Alexander 60 percent to 33 percent with more than 90 percent of precincts reporting.

Gray lost to now-Mayor Muriel Bowser in 2014 as his administration was embroiled in a campaign finance scandal.

Ward 2 Council member Jack Evens, who represents Foggy Bottom, ran unopposed in his Ward 2 primary.