Controlled blasts to begin at Square 75 construction site

Builders at the construction site at 2112 Pennsylvania Avenue, also known as Square 75, will begin controlled blasting activities starting in mid-June, according to a University alert.

Based off weather and soil conditions, the blasts will happen once daily during weekdays, either between 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. or 1:30 p.m to 2:30 p.m. These blasts will last for approximately six weeks to three months, according to the alert.

“Controlled blasting activities are common in D.C. where rock formations lie near the surface,” the alert said.

The development firm Skanska is leading the multi-million dollar construction project, converting the former offices, restaurants and university buildings into an 11-story office building with retail and restaurant space. The area was previously home to Froggy Bottom Pub and Thai Place, popular restaurants for students that have since moved locations.

The blasts, which the alert said are comparable to “a door slamming or a large truck,” will cause limited sound and vibration in the area for a few seconds, and will be noticeable to individuals within a few blocks of the construction site.

An air horn, which the release compared to the noise of an ambulance, will sound at 15, five and one minute before the blast, and once immediately afterwards to indicate “all clear.”

At the sound of the horn, the release said individuals should follow directions from site personnel and signs around the area. The sidewalks adjacent to the site will be closed to pedestrian traffic during the blasts. Pennsylvania Avenue between 21st and 22nd streets will also be closed to non-emergency vehicles during blasts.