GW increases veterans benefits to match rise in enrollment

GW increased funding for the Yellow Ribbon Program, a program that provides funding for tuition and fees not covered by the G.I. Bill for qualifying veterans and dependents, according to a University release.

This increase means GW will provide funding up to $22,000 for undergraduate students, up to $14,000 for graduate students and up to $17,150 for law school students, according to the release. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will match that funding up to full tuition and fees.

The benefits are available to any qualifying student veteran or dependent who applies, and can be requested through GWeb, the release stated. GW has participated in the Yellow Ribbon Program since 2009.

Victoria Pridemore, the associate director of military and student services said in the release that the Yellow Ribbon Program at GW makes education “affordable and accessible” for student veterans and their families and increases diversity on campus.

“These students bring real life experiences, diverse backgrounds and maturity to the GW community,” Pridemore said. “They are leaders and scholars who are often eager to lead through service, advocacy and education.”

There are more than 1,800 veterans, military service members and dependents enrolled at GW and that number increased by nearly 50 percent between 2013 and 2015, according to the release.