Men’s basketball signs Justin Williams

Annapolis Area Christian School guard Justin Williams has signed a National Letter of Intent to join the men’s basketball program, head coach Mike Lonergan announced Tuesday.

Williams becomes the sixth member of the 2016-2017 class, joining guards Darnell Rogers and Jair Bolden, forwards Kevin Marfo and Arnaldo Toro and center Collin Smith who signed with the team in November.

“Justin is a straight-A student who is also a very talented athlete,” Lonergan said in a release. “He has great potential and because of his work ethic, we expect him to have a bright future at GW in the classroom where he will major in engineering, and on the court where he gives us a strong and athletic small forward. We are excited about the depth Justin gives us at the wing position.”

The 6-foot-3-inch Glen Burnie, Md. native transferred to AACS from Mount St. Joseph’s after his sophomore year and scored more than 1,100 points in his two seasons as an upperclassmen, leading his team in scoring with 18 points per game as a junior and 24 per game as a senior.

Williams also led AACS to two regular-season league titles and scored 41 points in the championship game as team captain his senior year to garner the Most Outstanding Player of the Independent School Tournament award.

The signing follows a flurry of departures from GW, as sophomores Paul Jorgensen, Anthony Swan and Matt Cimino all announced transfers earlier this offseason.

While the Colonials will now return just six players from last year’s roster, and two starters in rising redshirt senior Tyler Cavanaugh and junior Yuta Watanabe, Lonergan found depth and experience with the addition of Harvard transfer Patrick Steeves in late April, who has two years of eligibility remaining.