CCAS student speaker demands University mental health policy changes

Chris Evans, the student speaker for the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences called on officials to improve mental health policies on campus. Olivia Anderson | Contributing Photo Editor
Chris Evans, the student speaker for the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences undergraduate celebration, called on officials to improve mental health policies on campus. Olivia Anderson | Contributing Photo Editor

Updated: May 15, 2016 at 12 a.m.

Speakers at the first Columbian College of Arts and Sciences undergraduate commencement celebration in the Smith Center Saturday inspired graduates to take advantage of life’s opportunities.

Chris Evans, the student speaker, urged University officials to change Mental Health Services polices after he spoke about three students who died by suicide on the Mount Vernon Campus two years ago.

Here are some highlights from the event’s speakers:

1. Improving mental health resources

Evans, who graduated with a double major in political communication and sociology, demanded that officials extend the hours for counseling services after 5 p.m. and on weekends and make sure students do not have to wait for appointments.

He also suggested that students have access to unlimited free counseling sessions.

“If a student shows the strength to walk into the doors of our counseling center, we should welcome them free of charge the first time and every time after,” Evans said.

Evans asked that officials improve University policies related to mental health and that graduates fight mental health stigma in their careers.

“Let’s be the University that leads the way,” he said. “Let’s step up and do our part and make sure that our community holds strong for years to come.”

2. Be your life’s architect

Daniel Martinez, an assistant professor of sociology, advised the Class of 2016 to step out of their comfort zones as they set out into the “real world.”

He likened the students to architects, because they have the ability to design their own futures and change the blueprints for their careers along the way.

“We only get one shot at this thing called life, so make it count,” he said.

3. Enjoying the moment

Ben Vinson, the dean of CCAS, urged the graduates to stay “thirsty” for life’s opportunities.

Vinson also encouraged them to revel in the importance of the moment when they walked across the stage at the ceremony.

“Right here, right now, you are better prepared than you have ever been for understanding your own destiny,” Vinson said.

Like these photos? You can purchase your personal photo from this graduation ceremony online at: www.hatchetphotos.com