Corcoran building to undergo renovations starting this summer

The Corcoran School of the Arts and Design will undergo renovations this summer. Hatchet file photo by Sam Hardgrove | Assistant Photo Editor

The University will begin renovations on the Flagg Building, home to the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design, this summer, a University spokeswoman said Wednesday.

The renovations will last over several years and are expected to cost $47.5 million dollars, University spokeswoman Kurie Fitzgerald said.

The renovations will include the creation of more classroom space, renovations to the second-floor gallery, an overhaul of the mechanical infrastructure of the building, and sealing leaky galleries to make them suitable for art and learning, she added.

While the building has gone through several smaller renovations, this will be the biggest renovation in recent history.

“Over the course of the Corcoran’s 100+ year history the building has experienced many smaller, partial renovations of different building components, but this will be the most comprehensive renovation since 1928,” Fitzgerald said.

The money for these renovations will come from funds GW received through the original agreement to absorb the Corcoran, according to a University release. Officials began a series of renovations about two years ago.

More renovations are expected after this upcoming phase, according to the release.

“Essentially every aspect of the Flagg Building’s infrastructure has to be updated,” Sanjit Sethi, director of the Corcoran said in the release. “Once this renovation phase is complete, the majority of the school’s programs will be unified under one roof.”