Research office partners with University of Rome

The Office of the Vice President for Research announced a partnership with the University of Rome Tor Vergata Thursday.

Vice President of Research Leo Chalupa signed a collaboration agreement with Fondazione INUIT, University of Rome Tor Vergata Thursday. Chalupa said in an email that the collaboration will create a structure for both institutions to explore joint opportunities for research, especially around cultural heritage and other shared priorities.

Chalupa, who is “mostly fluent” in Italian, said the new agreement with the University of Rome has grown out of longstanding relationships with colleagues in Italy.

“GW is committed to enhancing the global reach of our research enterprise,” Chalupa said. “By collaborating with international partners, GW is building capacity for new research opportunities.”

Chalupa was hired as the University’s first vice president for research in 2009 with goals of becoming a top-tier research institution.

The University of Rome also presented Chalupa with a distinguished professor award and he gave a lecture on the strategies for building university research at the University in Rome, according to a release.

Chalupa said the goal of the partnership is for GW investigators to partner with peers in Italy to secure grants from European Union sources.

“While in Rome I discussed the breadth of research at GW, the university’s international research portfolio, and the establishment of focused university-wide research initiatives,” Chalupa said.