Top research official leaves behind streamlined office

Hatchet File Photo by Katie Causey | Photo Editor

One of the top officials in the University’s research office will step down this month.

Jennifer Wisdom, associate vice president for research, announced last week that she will step down on April 15 after four years in the position. In her time in the office, Wisdom helped make the grant application process easier and more transparent for researchers.

Wisdom said since she arrived at GW in 2012, she has improved and expanded services that support GW researchers. She helped launch the principle investigator dashboard with the Division of Information Technology, which gives researchers direct access to their grants’ financial data – a process that was difficult to track previously, she said.

“I am very proud of the accomplishments of our staff in the Office of Sponsored Projects, who have made administrative processes more efficient and responsive,” Wisdom said.

Wisdom said she also improved consultation and editing services for faculty who apply for grants and streamlined the sponsored projects administration, which oversees all grants at GW.

“There is a solid foundation in place, and OVPR’s emphasis on customer service and responsiveness will continue,” Wisdom said.

Wisdom earned a Ph.D. in clinical psychology from GW in 2001. She said she will now create her own consulting firm, where she plans to work with organizations on managing change, implementing new strategies and training leaders.

Vice President for Research Leo Chalupa said in an email that an interim associate vice president for research will be named soon. Until then, the sponsored projects administration will be handled by Shandra White, director of the Office of Sponsored Projects, and Gina Lohr, assistant vice president for research, will deal with any other operational issues.

There is no posting to fill Wisdom’s position on GW’s jobs portal.

Officials in the research office have made several administrative changes throughout the years, including shifting staff into schools to work closer with researchers.

Chalupa said Wisdom has made numerous contributions to OVPR and led key operational initiatives that have improved and expanded research.

“I am grateful for her leadership and perspective on both the day-to-day operations and bigger picture goal-setting within OVPR,” Chalupa said.