Gelman Library adds lockers to fourth and fifth floors

Spencer Strauss | Hatchet Photographer
Spencer Strauss | Hatchet Photographer

Now you can really live in Gelman Library.

Students can now rent lockers on the fourth and fifth floors of Gelman, according to the library’s website. Geneva Henry, the dean of libraries and academic innovation, said officials added lockers for undergraduate students to use because graduate students quickly filled up the lockers in the graduate study rooms.

“After two semesters of offering lockers inside the Graduate Student Reading Room, we still had a waiting list full of students and had heard from many undergraduates who requested locker space as well,” Henry said.

The lockers are on a first–come, first–served basis, and students can rent them for $20 for the spring 2016 semester, $35 for the summer 2016 semester or a combined fee of $55 for both. Going forward, lockers will cost $35 per semester.

GW’s Reuse program, which recycles furniture from across campus, gave Gelman 100 lockers in February. Students could start renting the lockers earlier this month.

Students can reserve the lockers by semester, including the summer, and can renew their reservations on a semester or yearly basis. Students must vacate their lockers at the end of their reserved semester and return their issued lock to the library’s checkout desk, according to the website.

Students can fill out an online form to reserve the lockers.

The lockers on the fourth and fifth floors, in the hallways past the bathrooms, are available for all GW students. Only graduate students, excluding law and medical students, can rent existing lockers in the graduate study room.