A Day in Music

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Callan Tansill-Suddath.

We’re in the final stretch before the end of the semester – and the end of college for graduating seniors. Here are some songs to help you forget about the stress of finals for a few minutes while you dance around your dorm room.

Tegan and Sara – “Boyfriend”

Tegan and Sara, a twin duo from Canada that started making music in 1995, exchanged much of their angsty, indie rock sound for high energy pop on their last album, 2013’s “Heartthrob.” They continue with their pop sound in their eighth album, “Love You To Death,” which is set to release in June.

The first single from their new album, “Boyfriend,” sets a high bar for the remaining tracks by pairing a light-hearted, electric sound with heart-wrenching lyrics that detail a struggle with identity and sexuality – both common themes for the duo.

Carly Rae Jepsen – “Boy Problems”

Carly Rae Jepsen’s major claim to fame is undoubtedly 2012’s summer pop anthem “Call Me Maybe,” which has accumulated over 800 million views on Youtube since its release. Though at the time many brushed her off as a one-hit-wonder, Jepsen’s latest album, “Emotion,” gained her a loyal cult following and the attention of some of the biggest names in pop music. “Boy Problems,” a hit off her newest album, is a girl power anthem with an unmistakable 80’s flair. It’s catchy, synth sound combined with Jepsen’s bubbly vocals have created one of the strongest pop songs since the work of groups like The Go-Gos and late-90’s Britney Spears.

DNCE – “Cake by the Ocean”

This song first gained notoriety a few months ago with its appearance on a Sprint Wireless commercial, but what most people are just now realizing is that it’s the work of millennial Disney pop royalty and former boyband member, Joe Jonas. The song is fun with flirty lyrics and it shows off Jonas’s ability to hit the high notes, a trait of his that has remained even though his teen boy band years are long gone. The song draws clear inspiration from Maroon 5’s, “Sugar,” and will likely go on to follow in its footsteps as a summer dance party anthem.

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis – “Brad Pitt’s Ugly Cousin”

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis are largely responsible for the phenomenon of independently released hip hop joining the mainstream. Together, the two released 2012’s hugely successful “The Heist.” Their second full-length album, “This Unruly Mess I’ve Made,” came out in February. Their new single,“Brad Pitt’s Ugly Cousin,” is a fun, carefree and funny track. Much of the wordplay is tongue-in-cheek, the beat is catchy, and the video, in true Macklemore and Ryan Lewis style, is a homemade montage of iPhone videos.