Jorgensen to transfer out of men’s basketball program

Sophomore guard Paul Jorgensen drives to the hoop in GW's victory over Saint Peter's. Jorgensen is set to transfer out of the men's basketball program this offseason. Ashley Le | Hatchet Photographer
Sophomore guard Paul Jorgensen drives to the hoop in GW’s victory over Saint Peter’s. Jorgensen is set to transfer out of the men’s basketball program this offseason. Ashley Le | Hatchet Photographer

Sophomore guard Paul Jorgensen will transfer out of the men’s basketball program, according to a tweet by CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein.

Jorgensen averaged 4.9 points, 1.9 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game across 38 games played during the Colonials’ 2015-2016 NIT Championship campaign.

Sharing the GW’s sixth man spot with graduate student guard Alex Mitola, Jorgensen averaged 15.7 minutes per game, the most by any non-starter. His 81 total assists were the third-most on the team.

With the help of two former players, head coach Mike Lonergan recruited the 6-foot-2-inch guard into the program two years ago.

The New City, N.Y. native averaged 17.8 points per game in his senior season at Don Bosco Prep, and had already earned nicknames like “The Prince Harry of Harlem” and “White Jesus” on New York City’s street-ball courts before arriving at Foggy Bottom.

In his freshman year, Jorgensen averaged 3.6 points, 1.3 rebounds and 10.2 minutes in 35 games played.

Jorgensen’s departure opens up yet another spot on the 2016-2017 men’s basketball roster, as the team also loses Mitola and three seniors this offseason. The GW backcourt will return Yuta Watanabe, Matt Hart, Jordan Roland and junior Jaren Sina, a Seton Hall transfer who sat out this past season per NCAA rules.