Textile Museum to add contemporary curator position

The Textile Museum is adding a curator for contemporary textiles. Hatchet file photo by Jordan McDonald | Hatchet Staff Photographer
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation gave a $500,000 grant to create a new curator position at the George Washington University Museum and The Textile Museum, according to a University release.

The curator position, which the University plans on filling this summer, will work with contemporary textile collections.

The curator will also work with students and faculty to help produce textiles for the exhibit and develop more lectures and programs for the University and the public. Whoever fills the position will also add more research opportunities for students and faculty through the museum and provide museum career training, according to the release.

The release said the curator will also build a collection of contemporary fiber art, which would involve visiting studios and galleries to find artists to for the collection.

The new position is part of a mission to add more contemporary art to the textile museum, according to the release, and the curator will working with artists and staff at the Corcoran School of Arts and Design and the Luther W. Brady Gallery.