Best tattoo and piercing parlor: Fatty’s Tattoo & Piercing

Kiana Robertson | Hatchet Staff Photographer

1333 Connecticut Ave.

If you want to get inked and stay in Northwest, there’s only one tattoo parlor worth visiting.

Fatty’s Tattoos & Piercings is famous for its top-notch customer service, body art, jewelry selection and sterile needles. The clean and well-lit tattoo joint has been doing business in the District for more than two decades.

The closest Fatty’s location is in Dupont Circle between night club Kabin and Italian restaurant Otello. Psychedelic fantasy characters and depictions of Ganesha decorate the parlor’s yellow walls, and customers can wait in comfortable black leather chairs. You will get pierced or inked in one of a few smaller rooms.

You may even have a celebrity sighting while you’re waiting to get inked. D.C. Council member and GW Law School professor Mary Cheh received a District flag on her ankle from the H Street Fatty’s location earlier this year.

Most piercings cost $50 plus the price of jewelry. The cost of tattoos ranges from $70 for simple pieces to $175 per hour for tattoos that take hours to draw. Though its prices are a little steep compared to joints outside of D.C., Fatty’s is undoubtedly the cleanest store around, and all of its jewelry is approved by the American Society for Testing and Materials. They accept credit cards but prefer cash.

Fatty’s accepts walk-ins from 12:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. every day, but they recommend appointments for intricate or large tattoos.

Readers’ pick: Fatty’s