A Day in Music: spring playlist

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Callan Tansill-Suddath.

With the long-awaited peak bloom of D.C.’s iconic cherry blossoms this week, today’s list channels the mood of the city during perhaps the most picturesque time of year: spring.

Corinne Bailey Rae – “Green Aphrodisiac”

“Laying in the grass in the afternoon, something kind of magical in sunlight/ Flowers uncurl in the garden: It’s springtime.”

In her latest release, mellow and jazzy Corrine Bailey Rae perfectly captures what it’s like to lie in the soft grass of the National Mall on a warm spring day. This flirty ode to spring is sure to give you spring fever in the unlikely event you do not have it already.

“Japanese Wallpaper” – Forces, ft. Airling (Teen Daze remix)

With it’s laid-back rhythm, serene metronome-like percussion and the sound of birds chirping in the background, this track is without a doubt a perfect soundtrack for spring. Not to mention, the D.C. cherry blossoms originate in Japan, so the title of the song is fitting.

Girlpool – “Chinatown”

Between classes beginning to wrap up and spring break ending, this season is a time of year for new beginnings. “Chinatown,” off the 20-something California duo Girlpool’s sophomore album, captures much of what it feels like to be a young person in the city. The hypnotizing, simple acoustic guitar and girlish vocals will put you in a serene mood.

Esperanza Spalding – “Ebony and Ivy”

“It’s been hard to grow outside but we’re finally happy/ We’re the sage on the mountain now.”

Since upsetting 13-year-old girls everywhere with her Grammy win over Justin Bieber in 2011 for Best New Artist, Esperanza Spalding has been a force to be reckoned with while simultaneously staying out of the spotlight. That is how she likes it. In her new album, “Emily’s D + Evolution,” released March 6, Spalding channels artists like Michael Jackson, Janelle Monae and Fiona Apple to create a soulful collection of songs that will empower you to accomplish your goals – and those final papers coming up.