Business, education and engineering programs rise in graduate rankings

The GW School of Business rose in the latest rankings of graduate programs by U.S. News & World Report. Hatchet File Photo

GW’s business, education and engineering graduate programs shot up in the U.S. News and World Report’s graduate rankings released this week.

The School of Business rose up seven spots to No. 51, the second year in a row the masters of business administration program went up by so many spots. Linda Livingstone, the dean of the school, has focused on creating more opportunities for female and minority students and developed a new strategic plan for the school last year.

GW’s education school also leaped forward in the rankings, coming in at No. 45 from its No. 55 ranking last year. Michael Feuer, the dean of the Graduate School of Education and Human Development, said last year that school officials worked to increase enrollment for this academic year, a pillar of the school’s current strategic plan.

Both the business and education schools nearly maintained their rankings for online graduate programs, which U.S. News and World Report released earlier this year.

The School of Engineering and Applied Science’s programs bumped up from No. 99 to No. 92 this year after a steep drop by nine places the year before. The Science and Engineering Hall, which officials planned as a way to attract top faculty and research dollars, opened last January and is home to all of GW’s engineering departments.

The GW Law School slid three spots to tie at No. 25 with Arizona State and Indiana universities’ programs. This is the third year in a row that the law school has fallen in national rankings.

The School of Medicine and Health Sciences slightly increased its rank for research medical schools, tying with St. Louis University and the universities of Arizona, Connecticut, Nebraska and South Florida at No. 63 – four places higher than the medical school was ranked last year.