Lonergan interviewed for Rutgers head coaching job

Head coach Mike Lonergan huddles up with his team during GW's win at VCU on Feb. 6. Lonergan interviewed for the vacant Rutgers head coaching job on Monday but is unlikely to leave GW. Cameron Lancaster | Senior Staff Photographer
Head coach Mike Lonergan huddles up with his team during GW’s win at VCU on Feb. 6. Lonergan interviewed for the vacant Rutgers head coaching job on Monday but is unlikely to leave GW. Cameron Lancaster | Senior Staff Photographer
Men’s basketball head coach Mike Lonergan interviewed with Rutgers athletic director Patrick Hobbs Monday for the Big Ten program’s vacant head coaching position, according to NJ.com.

Lonergan, in his fifth year at GW, is unlikely to leave Foggy Bottom, sources close to the Colonials’ coach told The Washington Post. Lonergan grew up in Bowie, Md. and has close ties to the region, including children enrolled at Elizabeth Seton High School where his mother was a former athletic director.

Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley is reportedly the top choice for the Rutgers job, which would likely come with a large salary bump for either Atlantic 10 coach. Scarlet Knights skipper Eddie Jordan was making $1.15 million per year before he was fired after a 7-25 season. Lonergan’s salary is not public but sources told the Post that he makes about half that, which squares with the general figures GW must report to the Department of Education. GW extended Lonergan’s contract through 2020-2021 two years ago.

Gaining interest from a power-conference program, even a struggling one, may give Lonergan some leverage with the athletic department. The Post reported that Lonergan wants more resources directed toward the men’s basketball team, particularly after the team had to take a 12-hour bus ride to Olean, N.Y. for a game against St. Bonaventure when a flight was cancelled instead of chartering a plane. GW lost that game 64-57.

Relative to other A-10 schools, GW has made large increases to the athletic department budget in recent years. Those increases, though, have been spread around to all teams more equitably than at many schools which focus resources more heavily on men’s basketball.

Lonergan has a 468-225 record as a head coach and will go for win No. 467 Wednesday when the Colonials open NIT play against Hofstra at home at 8 p.m. GW missed the NCAA Tournament after a 23-10 season and an A-10 Tournament quarterfinals exit at the hands of Saint Joseph’s Friday.