GSPM director named next president of University of North Dakota

Graduate School of Political Management Director Mark Kennedy will be the next president of the University of North Dakota. Hatchet File Photo

Mark Kennedy, the director of the Graduate School of Political Management, has been named the next president of the University of North Dakota.

Kennedy was voted unanimously into the position by the State Board of Higher Education, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported Tuesday. He beat out Minot State University President Steven Shirley and University of Toledo engineering dean Nagi Naganathan for the spot.

Kennedy, who has led GSPM since 2012, oversaw the creation of the school’s strategic plan and increased the school’s focus on international politics. He also weathered a scandal in 2013 when Kennedy allegedly discriminated against a former gay GSPM staffer on the basis of sexual orientation.

Kennedy also oversaw the creation of GSPM’s first massive open online course in April last year and the launch of GW’s first Spanish and foreign language MOOC last fall.

Before coming to GW, Kennedy served as a Congressman for three terms and held financial leadership positions at several national companies, including at the conglomerate that now owns Macy’s.

A University spokeswoman did not immediately return request for comment.