With a No. 8 seed, women’s basketball begins NCAA Tournament Friday against Kansas State

Senior Jonquel Jones drives past an American defender on Nov. 17. Jones and the Colonials begin the NCAA Tournament Friday against Kansas State. Hatchet File Photo
The women’s basketball team will be a No. 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament after earning an automatic bid by winning the Atlantic 10 Tournament. The Colonials will face No. 9-seed Kansas State (18-12) Friday at 5 p.m. on ESPN2.

GW is in No. 1-seed South Carolina’s bracket, so a win would likely pit the Colonials against the Gamecocks in a second-round game, barring an upset of the Sioux Falls Regional’s top seed by No. 16-seed Jacksonville.

The second-round game will take place on Sunday, March 21.

The selection marks GW’s second NCAA Tournament berth under head coach Jonathan Tsipis, who is in his fourth season in Foggy Bottom.

GW is ranked 23rd in the RPI and enters the NCAA Tournament with a 26-6 record including a 13-3 mark in A-10 play. Including the A-10 Tournament, GW is on a five-game winning streak.

The Colonials entered the season talking of hopes of an Elite Eight or even Final Four run. At least until Friday, those hopes are still alive.