SMPA to host summer journalism program

The School of Media and Public Affairs will host a week-long journalism program this summer for top high school and college journalists from around the country, according to a University release.

“Newsroom U: A White House Student Press Briefing and Multimedia Weekend” partners GW with the University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication and the School of Journalism and Mass Communications at San Jose State University to bring 25 students to the District, including two high school students.

The program will include a White House press briefing facilitated by White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest, the release states. After the briefing, students will create multimedia stories reporting on how election issues affect D.C.-area millennials.

USA Today, The Journalism Education Association, Adobe Systems and the Student Press Law Center are also sponsoring the program and will help students post their stories online.

Imani Cheers, an assistant professor of media and public affairs, and two professors from the University of Oregon and San Jose State University will coordinate the program. Cheers also helped to create the program, according to the release.

The deadline to apply is March 20 and chosen applicants will be notified by April 1, according to the release.