Men’s basketball left out of NCAA field, enters NIT as No. 4 seed

Graduate student guard Alex Mitola drives to the basket in the GW's quarterfinal loss to Saint Joseph's Friday. After failing to make a deep run in this year's A-10 Tournament, the Colonials (23-10) are headed to the NIT as a No. 4 seed. Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor
Graduate student guard Alex Mitola drives to the basket in the GW’s quarterfinal loss to Saint Joseph’s Friday. After failing to make a deep run in this year’s A-10 Tournament, the Colonials (23-10) are headed to the NIT as a No. 4 seed. Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor

After failing to reach the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive year, men’s basketball (23-10, 11-7 A-10) was awarded a No. 4 seed in the 2016 National Invitational Tournament Sunday night.

The Colonials will host a first-round matchup with No. 5 Hofstra (24-9) of the Colonial Athletic Association at the Smith Center Wednesday at 8 p.m.

A 23-win season that featured wins over No. 4 Virginia, Big East champion Seton Hall and VCU, a No. 10 seed in the 2016 NCAA Tournament, fell short of securing an at-large bid to the Big Dance.

Bowing out of the Atlantic 10 Tournament with a quarterfinal loss to Saint Joseph’s Friday, plus two losses to 200+ RPI teams in Saint Louis and DePaul, hurt the team’s overall resume.

The Colonials join fellow A-10 programs Saint Bonaventure (22-8, 14-4 A-10) and Davidson (20-12, 10-8 A-10) in the secondary tournament, who enter as No. 1 and No. 5 seeds, respectively.

Along with VCU, conference champion Saint Joseph’s, a No. 8 seed, and Dayton, a No. 7 seed, will represent the A-10 in the NCAA Tournament.

Should GW defeat the Pride, it will likely face No. 1 seed Monmouth (27-7) in the second round.

This marks the second straight NIT appearance for the Colonials, who were eliminated in the second round by No. 1 Temple after a first-round victory at No. 4 Pittsburgh last year.