Interim EVP officially sworn in

Junior Thomas Falcigno is sworn in as executive vice president Monday night. Jordan McDonald | Hatchet Staff Photographer

The Student Association Senate confirmed Thomas Falcigno as its executive vice president Monday night.

Falcigno was the only candidate for the SA’s No. 2 spot. His name will no longer appear on ballot when the student body votes in elections this week, and he will continue to serve in the role in the 2016-17 academic year.

“The senate is something near and dear to my heart,” he said. “I want to make sure I’m helping you with your initiatives and want to make sure the SA is as productive as possible.”

SA President Andie Dowd nominated Falcigno to officially take over nearly two months after senior Casey Syron stepped down. The senate rejected Dowd’s first nominee, senior Zack Speck, last month.

Falcigno had served as interim executive vice president since January.

The senate also unanimously passed a resolution to formally support the South Asian Heritage Celebration and advertise its events. The SA’s executive cabinet will undergo diversity training following last month’s outcry about the funding of the month-long celebration.

The group also passed a resolution to close a loophole in its bylaws which allowed the senate to triple an allocation for the American Society of Civil Engineers last week. The resolution gives the finance committee more official control over SA funds.

Sen. Brandon Bernier, SEAS-G, said he hopes the resolution encourages senators to voice their concerns about large allocations to members of the finance committee before meetings.

“I don’t want it to have to come to that again. This shouldn’t be in the back of our minds that if the finance committee does something we don’t like, we can just go ahead and do what we want,” he said.