Candidates quizzed on sustainability platforms

Student Association candidates discussed their sustainability goals at a town hall event Thursday. Anne McBride | Hatchet Photographer
This post was written by Hatchet Staff Writer Crystel Sylvester.

Student Association candidates know it’s not easy being green – and Thursday, they told students exactly what they’re going to do about it.

Student sustainability leaders hosted the first-ever sustainability town hall, where students quizzed candidates on everything from food justice and workers’ rights to divestment and dissection.

Candidates were asked to describe what sustainability meant to them, and to discuss specific issues. Here’s what they talked about:

‘A megaphone to student voices’

Senate candidates supported the idea of linking students with the Board of Trustees. SA presidential candidate Erika Feinman hopes to add an undergraduate and graduate student to the board if elected.

John Brown, who is running for CCAS-U, suggested student observers at Board of Trustees meetings. Keiko Tsuboi, who is running for ESIA-U, pushed for students to lobby directly to board members.

Brianna Borghi, who is running for CCAS-U, said she supported adding direct student representation on the Board of Trustees to push for topics like fossil fuel divestment. Officials announced yesterday that they would not officials would not bring the topic to the Board.

“I think going to the University and showing the bare facts will get it done,” Borghi said.

Staying local

Candidates discussed their own ideas to promote sustainability within Foggy Bottom.

Junior Christina Giordano, who is running for SA president, suggested expanding GWorld options to include more sustainable and healthy businesses.

Devan Cole, a sophomore also running for CCAS-U, suggested creating incentives for student organizations to invest in local food sources.

“It’s important to invest in the local community,” Cole said.

‘Comfortable and safe’ in science labs

Candidates also discussed a petition started by GW Animal Advocates president Hannah Moskowitz that would allow students to opt out of dissections in some science classes.

Lujain Al-Khawi, a candidate for SEAS-U, said that she believed that non-science majors should “absolutely” have the choice to opt out of dissections.

“When you get to bio majors, it’s a different story,” she said.

Presidential candidate Erika Feinman suggested working with officials to come up with a solution for non-science majors who do not feel comfortable dissecting.

“We should be able to come up with alternative options to make sure that students feel good and comfortable and safe in classrooms,” Feinman said.