TinyGrocery comes to Thurston Hall

This post was written by Hatchet Staff Writer Liz Provencher.

A new food option popped up in Thurston Hall TV lounge on Feb. 16, and it’s a refrigerator filled with healthy food options.

TinyGrocery, a refrigerator that unlocks with the swipe of a credit card and then charges you for the fresh meals you take, has opened in Thurston Hall after GW reached out to the company with interest.

Associate Dean of Students Tim Miller said in an email that officials learned of TinyGrocery last year and were “intrigued by its fresh, healthy options and convenience it would offer students.”

Miller said the TinyGrocery in Thurston Hall is a pilot, and if it’s successful, officials may add additional units on campus.

Items available from TinyGrocery include breakfast favorites like yogurt with granola and breakfast sandwiches, as well as many lunch and dinner options like fresh salads, sandwiches and heatable options. The food options range in price from $4 to $10.

The idea for TinyGrocery came from ScratchDC owner Ryan Hansan. Hansan graduated from American University in 2008 and started ScratchDC four years later.

ScratchDC is a dinner kit program, similar to Blue Apron, that provides fresh and prepared ingredients to D.C. residents so they can whip up dinner in a hurry. When ScratchDC began to take off, Hansan came up with the idea for TinyGrocery.

Hansan said the company is “thrilled” to be partnering with GW. He said while TinyGrocery does not accept GWorld yet, Hansan said they hope to begin taking it in the future.

The company currently has locations at offices, apartments and gyms around D.C. but has been wanting to expand to universities because of the 24/7 nature of a college campus.

“At universities people are up all hours of the night,” Hansan said, “that really made the pairing a natural fit.”