Researchers find increased but still low comfort with transgender patients

Researchers at GW’s medical school found that while healthcare providers have become more comfortable treating transgender patients over the past decade, the self-comfort of those professionals is still considered to be low according to a press release.

The study focused on endocrinologists, who often administer hormone therapy to transgender patients.

The researchers surveyed attendees at a conference of clinical endocrinologists and found that one in five endocrinologists said they are “very” comfortable discussing a patient’s gender identity or sexual orientation. Less than half of respondents said they are “somewhat” or “very” competent to provide care to transgender patients.

The Endocrine Society updated its guidelines for providing care to transgender patients in 2009, and researchers said care has improved since then, according to the press release. The majority of survey respondents said they did not have any transgender patients.

Michael Irwig, an associate professor of medicine and a researcher on the study, said in the press release there needs to be more research and exposure on transgender patients and their level of care.

“Progress has been made, but there is still more work to be done,” Irwig said in the release. “The transgender community represents one of the most underserved and marginalized populations in health care.”