The Hatchet elects Smith as 2016-2017 editor in chief

Sophomore Ellie Smith is a political communication major. Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor
The Hatchet’s staff elected sophomore Ellie Smith as its 2016-2017 editor in chief Saturday.

Smith, a political communication major and history minor, will lead the paper through its 113th volume starting in May.

The Columbus, Ohio native has covered Title IX, mental health, the Faculty Senate and GW’s academic departments and programs since she joined the paper as a freshman.

This year, she has broken stories about a high-profile lawsuit and the departure of the former counseling center director. She also covered the provost’s resignation in the fall and the impact of budget cuts on GW’s academic programs.

Smith also covered the implementation of mandatory sexual assault prevention trainings and the creation of GW’s global degree program.

When she’s not in The Hatchet townhouse, Smith enjoys doing yoga, taking walks and eating dessert.

Smith will also take over as president of Hatchet Publications, Inc., pending approval by The Hatchet’s Board of Directors.

The Hatchet is an editorially and financially independent student newspaper serving the GW and Foggy Bottom community. The Associated Collegiate Press has named The Hatchet one of the 10 best four-year, non-daily college newspapers in the country for the last three years.