Two individuals arrested in Thurston Hall

This post was was written by Hatchet reporter Liz Provencher.

Two people were arrested in Thurston Hall for separate crimes early Sunday morning.

Metropolitan Police Department officers received a report that two GWorld card readers in Thurston Hall were damaged and stolen at approximately 12:30 a.m. on Sunday morning, according to MPD documents. A water fountain was also reportedly damaged.

After reviewing GW security footage, the officers returned to Thurston and found the suspect smoking a cigarette outside of the building at 1:15 a.m. the report reads. They asked him to show his GWorld card to confirm his identity and that he was a student, according to the documents.

The officers identified the individual as the one who damaged the card readers “by his striped shirt and light colored pants, clothing which he had not changed since his appearance on the CCTV footage,” the documents stated.

The officers determined the suspect was under the influence of alcohol, UPD Detective Matthew Robinson said in a meeting Wednesday. The incident is listed as theft, destruction and an alcohol violation in GW’s crime log.

While at Thurston for the destruction and theft arrest, UPD Officer Mark Thunstedt also responded to an administrative search of a residence room. The individual living in the room gave a GW staff member permission to search the room, according to the documents.

“In his room located at the top drawer of a nightstand was a plastic zippered bag containing grey fungi similar in appearance to psychedelic mushrooms,” the documents read.

After the suspect admitted there were his mushrooms in the bag, a “trained officer” conducted field tests which confirmed the presence of psilocybin, a psychedelic. The suspect was arrested in the residence hall at 2 a.m. and MPD transported him to the second district station, the reports show.

Alcohol, marijuana, drug paraphernalia, access cash, and the stolen University card readers were also found in the suspect’s room, Robinson said Wednesday.

Both individuals were not named in the police reports.