Bear with me: Two new gay bars open in D.C.

Kiana Robertson | Hatchet Staff Photographer

D.C. rang in the new year with two gay bear bars (bear, n. otherwise known as the picture of rugged masculinity) that might give Nellie’s a run for its money.

Uproar
639 Florida Ave. NW

When you think “bear bar,” trendy isn’t the first word that comes to mind.

Uproar Lounge and Restaurant is aiming to change that perception starting with its grand opening on Jan. 21. Although it functions as a restaurant as well, the main purpose of Uproar is to create a casual gathering place for bears without excluding others in the community, gay or otherwise.

The main attraction for Uproar, though, is undoubtedly its rooftop. The newly constructed patio goes with a natural theme: Everything from its floorboards to its tables are built completely of wood, with ivy spilling through the sides of its wood-lattice-and-brick walls.

String lights hang from above, casting a warm ambience while casual conversations create a comfortable white noise through the bar. All in all, it’s a great place to enjoy a bird’s eye view of Shaw.

The inside of the bar is covered in exposed brick facades, with low-hanging lights illuminating bold reds and blacks. The bar itself is worked by a local, friendly bartender, wearing an “Authenticity” shirt underscored by a rainbow stripe.

The menu is a varied mix between classic bar fare, Asian-inspired dishes and full-blown entree options. For example, Uproar carries everything from sweet potato tater tots ($6), to sushi ($10) to sirloin steak ($14), complete with two sides and a house salad. In general, expect a $10 price tag for your dinner.

Stay up to date on Uproar’s deals by connecting with them on Twitter. They usually post their great deals the night of, such as $5 shots and $4 beers.

Woof Den Sports Bar
1723 Connecticut Ave. NW

Who let the dogs out? Apparently the owner of the new Woof Den Sports Bar, located underneath Salty Dog Tavern near Dupont Circle.

Woof Den, which shares an owner with Salty Dog Tavern, is a basement hangout if there ever was one. A little more intimidating for people who aren’t “in the know” (read: outside of the bear community), the Woof Den is a great place to kick back and grab a beer without suffering the pretentiousness that so often plagues bars in the District.

In fact, the entire place is reminiscent of a nice, large dorm basement – which, since Woof Den is located in a basement, is not too far off the mark.

It also sports two pool tables, several televisions and easy access to the bartender so you can have an inebriated – and accordingly intimate – conversation with the person behind the bar.

The drinks were standard fare, with beer, wine and a limited selection of classic cocktails like the Manhattan, the Old Fashioned and Dark & Stormy (black rum, ginger beer and lime).