This post was written by Hatchet editors Robin Eberhardt and Brandon Lee.
Updated: Feb. 14, 2016 at 9:28 p.m.
D.C. Fire and EMS extinguished a fire in a fifth-floor room in Fulbright Hall Sunday.
D.C. Fire and EMS spokesman Tim Wilson said the fire was “a small trash fire.” Emergency personnel responded to a fire at 7:30 p.m. and had extinguished it by 7:50 p.m., according to an emergency alert.
“The fire was contained to one room, although there may be water damage to nearby rooms,” according to the alert.
Students from the residence hall were directed to the Marvin Center. EMeRG, Metropolitan Police Department officers and University Police Department officers also responded to the scene.
Griffin Schnitzer, who is not a GW student but was on the fifth floor visiting friends, said he heard a male student yelling that there was a fire for several minutes before the alarms went off in the building.
“I saw smoke, but not the fire,” Schnitzer said.
H Street was shut down between 22nd and 23rd streets, but reopened by about 8:30 p.m.
A fire had also started on the roof of the residence hall in September.
— Peter Konwerski (@GWPeterK) February 15, 2016