Phi Kappa Psi national organization announces suspension

Phi Kappa Psi’s national organization has suspended its GW charter until at least spring 2020, a release on its website reads.

The suspension is effective starting on Jan. 25 and the decision was “based upon a collaborative discussion and agreement” with GW officials, according to the release. The national organization investigated the chapter in conjunction with the University and the suspension is due to “a variety of substantial risk management concerns and violations stemming back to 2013,” the release reads.

The release includes new details about the situation surrounding the chapter. Officials have previously declined to comment about specific sanctions against the chapter – and all Greek organizations – deferring instead to GW’s online list of sanctions against student organizations.

Over the past two years, Phi Kappa Psi violated social probation, failed to attend mandatory meetings with GW and did not hold mandatory sexual assault prevention and risk management training. The chapter “has been sanctioned multiple times and investigated for several allegations and incidents that are incongruent with our expectations,” according to the release.

During an administrative search of the chapter’s 23rd street townhouse in October, University Police Department officers confiscated 77 contraband items including illegal chemicals, drugs and alcohol, according to the release. UPD officers also found a stun gun at the townhouse in October, as well as cocaine and marijuana, according to the UPD crime log.

“Decisions to suspend a chapter are among the most difficult a Fraternity’s leadership and staff must make; decisions which are not taken lightly. Nevertheless, when circumstances dictate and the best interests of the Fraternity and its members are at risk, suspension will be considered,” according to the release.

Representatives from Phi Kappa Psi’s national organization did not return multiple requests for comment for a previous story about the chapter’s on-campus suspension. The chapter’s national organization confirmed in November that GW was investigating the chapter, said at the time that they would cooperate with GW as needed.

Phi Kappa Psi terminated the lease on its 23rd Street townhouse last month, officials confirmed last week. Three other chapters have closed on campus since January 2014.

In May 2015, GW sanctioned the chapter for sexual misconduct, hazing, dishonesty and underage drinking, according to GW’s list of sanctions. New members also kept books of information that “included offensive and derogatory stereotypes and comments regarding other chapters,” according to the sanctions list.

“The Phi Kappa Psi fraternity regrets the negative impact its members had on the George Washington University community. The fraternity values its long history at George Washington University, and is proud to have initiated 711 men during that time,” the release reads.

Phi Kappa Psi “eagerly anticipates” having a chapter on GW again in the future, according to the release. The chapter’s current members will be considered chapter alumni and will not be able to participate in recolonizing the chapter on campus in the future, according to the release.

Several fraternities currently on campus have returned after previous suspensions, including Zeta Beta Tau and Delta Tau Delta. Alpha Epsilon Pi returned to campus in 2002 before surrendering its charter in 2014.