Nearly half of D.C. homeless youth are LGBT

Nearly half – 43 percent – of D.C.’s homeless youth are LGBT, according to a new survey of the city’s homeless youth, the Washington Post reported Thursday.

The Homeless Youth Census – the first survey of its kind in the city – tallied 330 youths who were on the streets, in a housing program or without a permanent home, the Post reported.

The city announced $45,000 in Verizon grants to two nonprofit organizations that serve LGBT youth – Casa Ruby and the Wanda Alston house – in conjunction with the release of the results. Those funds come in addition to a $1.3 million increase in September to support single homeless use, the Post reported. The city’s total annual budget for homeless youth programs is more than $5 million.

Ruby Corado, executive director of Casa Ruby – the city’s only bilingual, multicultural LGBT advocacy group and shelter –estimated that 70 percent of homeless youth in D.C. come from outside the District, the Post reported. Corado spoke on campus last year. She was also profiled in The Hatchet’s Faces of D.C. series last spring.

Mayor Muriel Bowser spoke at Casa Ruby, which is located on Georgia Avenue, on Wednesday.

“We know that these young people face the most bullying and discrimination and assault, you name it, not only from the outside world but often from their own families, neighbors and close associates,” she said then, according to the Post report.