New office building to be developed near Stevens School

Local developers who are renovating the Thaddeus Stevens school recently bought the Human Society of the United States headquarters to develop into a high end officer building. Hatchet File Photo
Local developers who are renovating the Thaddeus Stevens School recently bought the Human Society of the United States’ headquarters to develop into an office building. Hatchet File Photo

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Kendrick Chang.

A team of three development firms renovating the Thaddeus Stevens School bought the Humane Society of the United States’ headquarters to turn into a high-end office building, the Washington Business Journal reported Monday.

Local developers Akridge, Corporate Office Properties Trust and Argos officially bought the Humane Society building on L Street last week for $11 million. The Humane Society will remain in the building for another six months and will then move to an undisclosed location, the Journal reported.

Paul Graham, a senior vice president at Colliers International who represented the Humane Society in the sale, told the Journal that the Humane Society sold the building to “take advantage of a unique opportunity stemming from its key position on the block,” which allowed them to put the money from the building’s sale towards animal programs.

All three firms involved in the acquisition are currently working together to renovate the historic Thaddeus Stevens Elementary School. The partnering firms plans to use a part of the Stevens School’s property and the Humane Society’s current space at 2100 L St. NW to construct the new office building.

“We will combine this parcel with the Stevens School project to deliver a striking, trophy-class, corner office building in the Central Business District,” Matt Klein, the president of Akridge, told the Journal.

Renovations at the Stevens school building will clear the way for the Ivymount School, an institution that focuses on children and young adults with special needs, to open in D.C. The new school will include about 50 students from the current Ivymount school in Rockville, Md. as well as D.C. students.

The original Stevens Elementary School was the oldest public school in the District until it became one of 23 schools to be shut down in 2008. Akridge and Argos won a bid for the property over three competitors in 2012. The D.C. Council approved the renovation project in December 2014.