Knapp lands at No. 24 on compensation ranking

Knapp is one of the most highly compensated university presidents in the U.S. Hatchet file photo by Katie Causey | Photo Editor.

University President Steven Knapp’s total compensation was about $1.1 million in 2013, putting him at No. 24 on a list of more than 530 university presidents in the U.S., according to a recently released report.

That was a slight drop from his compensation in 2012, according to data from the Chronicle Higher Education, when he earned more than $1.2 million and landed at No. 16. A compensation package includes bonuses and deferred payments on top of a base salary.

The compensation packages of nearly three dozen college presidents topped $1 million in 2013, the Chronicle reported.

Columbia University President Lee Bollinger snagged the top spot with a total compensation package of about $4.6 million. That amount included a deferred payout of about $1.26 million, the Chronicle reported. Four presidents of GW’s peer schools landed in the top 10 on the compensation list, including the presidents of Vanderbilt and Tulane universities.

John Sexton, the president of peer school New York University, earned the highest base pay on the list: more than $1.2 million in 2013. Base pay does not include bonuses, and usually makes up about 80 percent of a president’s total compensation.

Last fiscal year, Knapp’s total compensation package dipped by 13 percent, brought down because of a 43 percent drop in his bonuses and benefits. Last fiscal year’s data was not represented in the Chronicle data.

Knapp’s base salary, excluding his benefits and bonuses, increased by 5 percent last fiscal year, which experts have said shows that officials are content with his contributions to the University.