Official calls ISIS threat to D.C. not ‘credible’

A video threatening attacks to D.C. similar to Friday’s attacks in Paris was not a “credible threat,” one of GW’s top security officials said in a statement Monday.

The creators of the video claimed to be aligned with the terrorist organization ISIS, which also took credit for the six attacks throughout Paris on Friday, killing at least 129 people and hurting more than 300 according to CNN. All 52 GW students studying abroad in Paris were safe and accounted for after the attacks.

Senior Associate Vice President for Safety and Security Darrell Darnell defined a credible threat in a statement as a threat “with some degree of specificity regarding a place and time that has a high probability of occurring.”

He said that GW is in “constant contact” with local and federal law enforcement, adding that the University is up to date on the security information from these agencies.

“Considering the information that we have and that definition, there is no credible threat to D.C. and more specifically to GW,” Darnell said in the statement.

Darnell said GW will continue with regular security procedures, including having officers in the University Police Department patrolling campus on foot, bikes and in patrol cars. He said there will also be increased security at Monday’s men’s basketball game against the University of Virginia, advising students to arrive at the game early to go through bag checks and other security measures.

“We currently are in our normal security posture with GWPD,” he said.