All GW Paris study abroad students safe after deadly attacks

Each of the 52 GW students studying abroad in Paris are safe and accounted for, the University announced Saturday.

“We have communicated various resources for the students and have advised them to follow the direction of program coordinators on the ground, who are closely monitoring information from local law enforcement and the State Department. We also will continue to closely monitor developments in France and be in touch with our students,” the statement reads.

On Friday evening, the deadliest attacks in Europe since the 2004 Madrid bombings occurred, BBC reported. A total of 129 people were killed in six attacks across the city, including suicide bombings, and more than 350 people are wounded, the New York Times reported.

GW Paris students are hosted at the Institut d’Etudes Politiques de Paris, or Sciences Po, and the ESSEC Business School. The Sciences Po campus, which closed on Saturday, is located less than three miles from the Bataclan theatre, where one of the attacks took place. Hostages were held for about two hours and about 80 people were killed in the sold-out concert hall.

Dean of Student Affairs Peter Konwerski said on Twitter GW’s Office of Study Abroad staff were “gathering info” at 8 p.m. EST Friday night. The University announce all students were safe at about 1 p.m. on Saturday.

The Metropolitan Police Department deployed additional law enforcement resources to French-owned sites and other high-profile locations in D.C., though the department said there was “no imminent threat to the District” in a release late Friday night.

French Ambassador to the United States Gérard Araud said on Twitter the Embassy will hold a vigil in La Fayette Square, in front of the White House, tonight at 5 p.m.