D.C. Fire and EMS extinguish tour bus fire at 23rd and I streets

D.C. Fire and EMS responded to a bus fire on 23rd Street on Thursday. Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor

D.C. Fire and EMS worked to put out a tour bus fire by the Foggy Bottom Metro Thursday evening.

After a double-decker CitySights DC bus caught fire on 23rd and I streets near JBKO Hall around 5 p.m., D.C. Fire and EMS personnel began extinguishing the fire. Officers from the University Police Department and the Metropolitan Police Department directed traffic and pedestrians. D.C. Fire and EMS pulled parts of the bus apart and sprayed the bus with a hose.

D.C. Fire and EMS extinguished the fire by about 5:45 p.m.
D.C. Fire and EMS extinguished the fire by about 5:45 p.m. Katie Causey | Photo Editor

D.C. Fire and EMS spokesman Tim Wilson said that the department had “no indication that anyone was injured or that anyone was transported.” He said the department had not yet determined the fire’s cause.

“We have a fire investigator on the scene to determine what caused the fire,” Wilson said.

Ebony Scales, the driver of the bus, said she was stopped at a red light when she smelled smoke and heard someone outside the bus yell that the bus was on fire. She then evacuated the people on the bus, including Glenda Herring and Darlene Jenkins, who are visiting family in D.C. from Oklahoma. Herring said she wasn’t scared because of how quickly Scales evacuated the bus.

“She got us off really quick,” Herring said.

D.C. resident and Street Sense vendor Ron Verquer responded to the fire by helping to extinguish it, drawing on his experience in automechanics.
D.C. resident and Street Sense vendor Ron Verquer responded to the fire by helping to extinguish it, drawing on his experience in automechanics. Katie Causey | Photo Editor

The fire was extinguished by around 5:45 p.m., according to an alert from D.C. Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency.

Police closed off the intersection while they worked to put out the fire and then opened the street to traffic after the fire was extinguished.