Weekend outlook: Unwind with brews, movies and music

This post was written by Hatchet reporter John Glasfeld.

Midterms are over, so it’s time to treat yourself with a relaxing weekend full of films, beer, tunes and some of the best photography that D.C. has to offer.

Friday
Open to the public from Friday to Sunday, the Alexandria Film Festival showcases the cream of the filmmaking crop. Come in at any time of day to see a plethora of short films from local, national and international independent filmmakers. There’s also plenty of time to meet and chat with the directors themselves.

Beatly Central Library. 5005 Duke St, Alexandria, Va. from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and AMC Hoffman Theater. 206 Swamp Fox Rd, Alexandria, Va. from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Saturday
Assuming that you’re at least 21, the D.C. Beer festival is this weekend’s real hotspot. This Saturday only, Nationals Park is home to dozens of independent and unique craft breweries. For $40 per person, come for the beer and stay for the food trucks, lawn games and disc jockey sets.

1500 S Capitol St. SE from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.

If you’re in the mood for more than brews , then you can head over to the Lincoln Theater to hear a classic rocker, The Pretenders’ guitarist and singer Chrissie Hynde. After listening through her latest solo album “Stockholm,” don’t miss the chance to let Hynde’s music wash over you, letting her break and then rebuild your heart after every song.

1215 U St. at 6:30pm.

Sunday
You can end the weekend with some calm and contemplative photography. FotoweekDC, the District’s annual festival to showcase photography is back. With exhibits scattered at venues across the District, from the Newseum to George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate, you can view images that capture human emotion, history and culture. Entry to festival events is $6.