Neighbors voice concerns to city transportation officials

Ward 2 Council member Jack Evans discussed transportation at Tuesday's Foggy Bottom Association meeting. Max Sall | Hatchet Photographer
Ward 2 Council member Jack Evans discussed transportation at Tuesday’s Foggy Bottom Association meeting. Max Sall | Hatchet Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet Reporter Nick Andricola.

Transportation and city officials heard concerns from Foggy Bottom community members at the Foggy Bottom Association meeting on Tuesday night.

Foggy Bottom Council member Jack Evans and Leif Dormsjo, the director of the District Department of Transportation, were in attendance and took questions from neighbors about issues ranging from Metro delays to traffic in Washington Circle.

Peter Sacco, a 2015 alumnus who is also the executive director of the Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission, brought up declining ridership on the Metro and asked about the possibility of providing unlimited rides for college students in the city. He added that Ward 2, which includes Foggy Bottom, has more college students than any other ward.

“Yes I support that and I know we’re doing that at American University. GW is on the list, as is Georgetown,” Evans said. “It’s a great proposal and we’re trying to boost ridership.”

Evans, who is on the Metro’s board of directors, called the train system expensive and inconvenient. He also said trains must run on time.

“I would like to lower fares. We have to get metro to be both affordable and try to make it more convenient,” Evans said.

Still, Evans said it is impossible to avoid all delays, because track work must be done on the weekends.

“We’re always going to be running late on weekends until we get caught up on maintenance,” Evans said.

Evans has advocated for years that the Foggy Bottom Metro station, one of the busiest in the city, should have a second entrance.

“I think that’s what people in Foggy Bottom really want – a second entrance to the system,” he said.